From:
Reed H Munson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Reed H Munson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 21:41:04 -0600
On Tue, 24 Jan 1995, Antony Garcia wrote:

> Hey, what's this I've been hearing lately about the "USA" chant in
> Minnesota?  Sounds kind of xenophobic to me.  Fortunately, I haven't
> heard about any of that sort of thing happpening out here in the East.  I
> mean, this is college hockey, not the Olympics.  Just my $.02.
>
> Tony

You're right. We should stop chanting USA at Marriucci arena. But don't
worry, we're not afraid of all things outside our state, we're just proud
of our players and our team. I mean, it's hard to think of anything to
compare MN hockey to -- a team that self-limits its roster to players
from within the boundaries of simple, plain, ho-hum, nice but not in any
way extroardinary state. MN fans get "nationalistic" because we're always
so amazed that just ordinary guys from our home state can compete evenly
with and sometime defeat other teams made up of players gathered from all
around the world. When the Gophers do well on the ice it's like.... 'Gee,
I never thought a group of guys from Minnesota could be so good!'

This is just a small insight into the mentality of that strange breed
they call Minnesotans...

Reed