From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 1995 03:12:31 -0500
I was looking through my lastest issue of The Hockey News (27 Jan 1995) and
in the "Summere Hockey School & Equipment Guide '95" I saw the following
full=page color ad:

These Mountaineers know wood isn't all it's cracked up to be.

The Glastick Gladiator has proven to these WVU Mountaineers that great
hockey sticks don't grow on trees.

The color photo is of Mike Mueller and Brian Bronk, Co-Captains of the WVU
ice hockey team wearing their WVU uniforms and stading in front a loose net
on ice.

At the bottom is the required statement:
"WV" is a registered trademark of West Virginia University.  (the WV as used
in the uniform)

There is also the following disclaimer:
The use of West Virginia University players and the west University logo for
this advertisment does not constitute an endorsement by West Virignia
University.

I assume that the WVU team is a club team, but does the NCAA have any rules
for this?  I would assume that the players and/or University has been paid
for the ad (and the University for the use of its logo).  If the University
was paid for the use of theior logo can that be considered an implied
endorsement?  Allowing school club teams to make endorsements seems to be
very unfair to school varsity teams, whether they are ice hockey or another
sport.

Sean Pickett
Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East Champions!
BU Hockey Page:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html