From:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 22:38:27 MST
From Gazette Telegraph (1/7/95)

CC short-hands Bulldogs
  Tiger quartet makes Duluth sing the blues
by Steve Page

The Colorado College penalty-killing quartet of Stewart Bodtker, Eric Rud, Chad
Remackel and Bob Needham figured they had to do something.

Their team trailed the University of Minnesota-Duluth 2-1 early in the second
period Friday night, and they were trying to keep the Tigers close by killing
off a tripping penalty to Ryan Reynard near the end of the first period.

They did better than that.

The foursome forechecked their way to a school-record 13th short-handed goal of
the season, with Bodtker feeding Remackel in the slot for a point-blank shot
into the open right side fo the net that brought the Tigers even.

And though the Bulldogs did regain the lead 90 seconds later, the momentum
belonged to the Tigers.  They scored the last four goals of the game to post
a 6-3 victory before a standing-room-only Cadet Ice Arena crowd of 2,808.

"It was just hard work," said Remackel after CC improved its lead in the Western
Collegiate Hockey Association to six points.  The Tigers own 24 points on a
12-3 league record.  They put additional distance between themselves and the
University of Denver, an 8-2 loser to St. Cloud State, and Minnesota, which
tied Northern Michigan, 2-2.

"We just pressured them a little bit, got the bounce and scored the goal," said
Remackel, a junior from St. Paul, Minn.  "They (the Bulldogs) were a little
tired, and we were fresh.  Stewie did a great job forechecking.  He slipped
the puck out front.  All I had to do was slap it in."

Bodtker, a freshman, was returning to the penalty-killing unit for the first
time in conference play since separating a shoulder in November.

"I like to forecheck, and give some pressure," Bodtker said.  "The puck was
just sitting there.  I fumbled it, but then I just kinda shoveled it out front.
Remy was right there."

CC trailed 1-0 and 2-1 in the first period, then by 3-2 in the second period
before taking charge.  Left wing Ryan Reynard scored twice, fourth-line
wings Jason Christopherson and Jason Gudmundson added goals, as did third-line
center Jay McNeill.  First-line center Colin Schmidt and defenseman Rud
assisted twice as second-ranked CC improved to 17-4 overall.

"The short-handed goal sparked us," said CC coach Don Lucia.  "Stewie worked
real hard for that goal.  It helps having him back, in that it gives us a
sixth penalty-killer."

The Tigers also killed off two two-man disadvantages in the third.

"We got better as the game went on," Lucia said.  "But we have a long way to go.
Tomorrow is the halfway point of the season.  There are a lot of games, a lot
of points to be had."

First-line wings Brad Federenko and Joe Ciccarello each scored a goal and added
an assist for UMD, 3-11-2 in the WCHA and 6-12-2 overall.  Defenseman Rod
Adolff netted the other goal.

UMD goaltender Taras Lendzyk stopped 27 shots, including a 25-foot blast to
the facemask off the stick of Schmidt that left the junior flat on his back.
He finished the game with two more stops than CC redshirt sophomore Ryan Bach.

The Bulldogs played without their leading scorer.  UMD coach Mike Sertich
indefinitely suspended Rusty Fitzgerald (four goals, eight assists) after
Fitzgerald was involved in a fracas outside a Duluth bar on New Year's Eve.

(end of article)