From:
"Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 1994 11:27:23 -0400
Ralph Baer writes:

>This is a rather strange list.  Canisius, Connecticut, and Holy Cross
>are now Div-I playing mostly Div-III schedules.  (Actually, wasn't
>Connecticut actually a Div-I school all along?  Weren't they in the
>Big-East in b-ball then? I don't know about the other two.)  Most of
>the reminder are now Div-III although a few are still in Div-II and
>some have probably given up playing hockey :-(.  I know that at one
>point the Div-II championship was abolished and teams were given the
>option of changing their Division status for Hockey.  However, I wonder
>if all of these schools were really Div-II at the time.  For example, I
>thought that Union was a Div-III school.  Any comments?

I'm trying to remember the timeegarding the demise of the DII
championship and also the point when schools had to play within their
actual division.  Mike might remember this better than I.  In any event,
it was not uncommon up until sometime in the '80s for smaller schools to
play hockey outside of their division.  So you had a number of DIII schools
playing DII hockey; and some DI schools also playing DII hockey (actually,
I suspect even then it was a combination of DI, DII, and DIII games).  When
the DII championship disappeared, and schools had to choose either DI or
DIII, a number of schools had no choice but to go to DIII (as I recall, all
the smaller Minnesand Wisconsin schools were ordered by
their statewide systems to play at the DIII level).

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                      INTERNET:        [log in to unmask]
Dean of Student Services                   BITNET:            ROTH@CANISIUS
Canisius College                            PHONE:           (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14208                       FAX:           (716) 888-2525