From:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 1994 15:18:18 MST
Eric J Burton wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Dec 1994, Jeff Brune wrote:
>>   I know this is a major disappointment to all you Denver,
>> Minnesota and Wisconsin fans, because now none of you will have a chance to
>> win the McNaughton Cup this year, nor for many years to come.  This is also
>>too bad for Maine, BU and Michigan, who now have no hope of winning a
>>national championship.
>       I think that this has got to be the most ignorant thing I have
>read on this list. I watched Colorado College play the other night on MSC
>I should say on friday and the Gophers handed them  their butts. The
>result on saturday was well a fluke. To say that Minnesota and Wisconsin
>don't have a chance is unfounded since the season is only half over. Also
>first of all you have to get to the playoffs first to win a national
>championship. The reason you didn't get to the NCAA is you lost to a very
>weak MTU team in the WCHA final 5. That is one of the reason you did not
>get in. TO say that BU and Maine don't have a chance is also dumb because
>first of all you have to play for the national championship it is not
>handed too you. I also think that Maine has to be considered a Powerhouse
>this year. BU is also a strong team and also don't forget the CCHA LSU
>has won when it appeared that they didn't have that strong of a team.
>They seem to jell around playoff time. Don't count anything yet. This
>thing is far from over.
>My prediction CC will not win the WCHA final 5 or the NCAA tourney.
>Final Four will be
>U of Maine
>U of Minnesota
>LSU
>BU

I don't think it was a fluke that CC won on Saturday night.  Maybe the
margin by which they won was a slight fluke, since it was the most CC
has ever beaten Minnesota by, but not the fact that they won.  The team
is doing very well so far this year, but it's only the halfway mark of
the season.  Especially in the WCHA, anything is still possible before
the end of the season.  Look at Michigan Tech last year (nothing against
them): they started off the season tied for first place, and ended up
finishing at the bottom.  They may have been a weak team by the end of
the season, but they had a great goaltender who helped them win the
playoff series from CC.  Being a Tiger fan, I hope they're able to hold
on to their first place, but there's a long and tough road ahead of them
to get there, and just because you win the regular season championship
one year doesn't make you an automatic powerhouse, guaranteeing you the
championship for years to come.  I know there are probably many students
here who would like to believe that CC is invincible, especially with all
the hype given to the fact that we were #1 in all of the polls the other
week, but they probably don't see the whole picture of the league and how
unpredictable it can be.  Being #1 in the polls does not guarantee you
anything, except that you made it into the polls.  We all know here
that the polls should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Karen

~ Karen Heasley                        ~ "Sometimes I think the surest sign  ~
~ Colorado College '95                 ~  that intelligent life exists else- ~
~ Colorado Springs, CO                 ~  where in the universe is that none ~
~ [log in to unmask]      ~  of it has tried to contact us."    ~
~ [log in to unmask]             ~  - Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes 11/9/94  ~