Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 15:45:09 -0600
Minnesota needed the split of the weekend, to keep pace with first
place Colorado College, who also split. But it was not to be.

Once again, the Pioneers outplayed the Gophers. I believe that
Minnesota has the better team, talent- and experience-wise, but you
definitely could not see it in Sunday night's game.

With the talent on Minnesota's team, someone needs to display that
talent, and step forward to lead the team, especially in McHugh's
absence. But it didn't happen. No inspired play from anybody that
night, and it cost them, in a big way.

SOmething of note: the third period goal that Minnesota gave up, was
not just the third goal of the SEASON given up in the third period,
but the FIRST given up when the Gophers were either trailing or
behind. The incredible stat is now 28-3 the Gophers have outscored
opponents in the third season, and two of the three goals have come
from teams the Gophers had a firm handle and a sizable lead on. In
fact, I can't be absolutely sure, but I don't think the Gophers have
given up a lead all season long. Of course, that is mainly because
they haven't had the lead for very long in most games.

This Sunday night game was clearly, in my mind, the worst game the
Gophers have played all season long. Several people I talked to
thought that Saturday's game was worse than Sunday's, but here are my
reasons:

Defense: there were several defensive breakdowns on BOTH nights. On
Sunday, it cost us the game winning goal with 11.7 seconds left in
the game. This breakdown SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. With less than 15
seconds left, the defense should not be out of position, which they
were. Callinan made a bone-headed play (again). Our defense has been
good all season long, especially in the third period. I admit I was
already thinking about the overtime period, and apparently, so were
the Minnesota players. A terrible way to end the game.

Offense: the Minnesota offense has been very consistent all season,
not in goals scored, but in pressure applied. SHots on goal have been
around forty in all but one or two games prior to this one. But we
were beaten on shots on Sunday, something like 27-25. The Gophers
normally have 25 shots in the second period, for Pete's sake! These
shot totals are okay in a 5-2 lead over Wisconsin, but are very
disturbing a game like this one.

Most of the typical game is played at center ice or in the opponents
defensive zone. Not this one. Minnesota had a great deal of trouble
clearing the zone, and made no effort to stop Denver players from
bring the puck in.

Actually, this weekend reminded me of last year's series at home
against Alaska Anchorage. The team was just a spot or two below us in
the standings, yet we were supposed to beat them, and the outplayed
the Gophers. Very similar.

But I think this series was an important one, and came at an
important time. Hopefully now the players will realize they can't
afford to wait until a third period comeback. Woog has a chance to
juggle lines, and practice hard all week for the big series this
weekend against Colorado College. I fully expect the players to learn
from the weekend, and come out hard against the Tigers.

There seems to be an instruction book going around the WCHA on how to
beat Minnesota. Dean Blais and North Dakota read it, it passed into
the hands of Bob Mancini and Michigan Tech, and George Gwozdecky and
the Pioneers added a chapter. I just hope that nobody gives this book
to Colorado College. :-)

Minnesota, after starting out 6-0-0, has gone 1-4-1 in the next six
WCHA games. Bad pizza. But the good news is that all of the four
losses have been by one goal, and it is a comforting thought to know
that with a few lucky bounces, Minnesota could be in Maine's shoes
(obligatory note: I am not commenting here on quality of teams,
effort exerted, or shoe sizes, merely on team records, and scores of
individual games).

Next week looks bigger every day!

                                                Lee-nerd

"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent." --Isaac Asimov