From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 1994 00:10:22 EST
First, some other HE scores from tonight.

No score yet on Colgate-Mass Amherst.
Northeastern 8, at BC 3
at BU 9, Mass Lowell 7
 Lowell led this 6-1 in the second period before BU scored the next 7
 or 8 goals.
Providence 6, at Merrimack 6 (MC wins shootout, 1-0)

Details to come on PC-MC.  But tonight, I think we saw the beginning
of a big change in the way Merrimack supports its hockey team, and I
want to take some time here to talk about that.

The official attendance was 1,448, but I estimate about 700 were
students.  For a school with an enrollment of 2,000, that is simply
amazing.  The Program Board held a promotion in which noisemakers
(clappers) were given out, and the crowd was rowdy and loud from the
moment the puck was dropped until the final shot of the shootout.
I haven't seen anything like it at Merrimack since the team joined
Hockey East.  The people who organized the event, which included a
dance in the gym next to the rink, said what made it happen was this
year's freshmen - more spirited and supportive of the team than in
years.

Merrimack captain Mark Cornforth helped with the promotion, and the
team was clearly overwhelmed by the fan support.  The first period saw
Merrimack play its best hockey of the season in opening up a 3-1 lead.

The Program Board representatives I talked to said that they plan to
have more events like this, and Coach Ron Anderson made sure to hand
out his share of compliments to the people responsible.

I was very impressed with the showing.  After Merrimack's first goal,
a number of the clappers rained onto the ice, drawing the usual
announcement about objects being thrown on the ice possibly leading to
a penalty against the home team.  I expected a repeat of last year's
BU game in which tennis balls came after each MC goal and resulted in
3 or 4 delay of game penalties, but to their credit, the fans responded by
not throwing anything for the rest of the game except for isolated
incidents.

Merrimack's interim President, Richard Santagati, was on hand and took
part in a shootout with several fans between periods.  Santagati wore
the Merrimack jersey with his name on the back that had been given to
him at last year's breakup banquet - and no one told him to bring it.
He has been very supportive of the team and of efforts currently
underway to build a new student center which would include a brand new
rink.  Having him on hand meant a lot, and he drew a ton of applause
when he stepped up to take his shot in the shootout.

I am still stunned by the amount of support the team got tonight.  Only
time will tell if it keeps up, but judging by the way things went, I
have to think this signals a change in the way the college supports
its team.  A job well done by all.