From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 1994 18:39:20 CST
Headline: No kidding: Trebil is U's top scorer
Publish Date: 11/02/1994

Matthew Cross

Staff Reporter

Junior defenseman Dan Trebil received a chance to orchestrate the
Gophers hockey power play this season and wasted no time emerging as
the team's leading point scorer.

To the people that know him however, that's not a surprise.

In four games this season, Trebil has tallied 10 points. That is
almost half of his last season total (22), but he maintains that his
game hasn't changed much.

Gophers assistant coach Bill Butters said a major reason for Trebil's
success lies in his newfound role.

With the departure of second team All-American Chris McAlpine, Trebil
became the go-to guy on the Gophers power play.

``The coaches are showing a lot of confidence in me and that helps my
confidence,'' Trebil said. ``Playing with (Mike) Crowley makes it a
lot easier too because he stepped in right away and he's always
making plays.''

Butters insists that Trebil's early season success has a lot to do
with what he learned at Bloomington Jefferson High School.

Trebil is one of the best players  produced by Jefferson's hockey
juggernaut.

``(Jefferson) is very similar to the Gophers in that there's a great
tradition and a lot of pride on the team,'' Trebil said.

The three-time defending State Champion Bloomington Jefferson Jaguars
are perennial winners -- and Trebil thrived under those conditions.

Not only did he guide Jefferson to the Minnesota State Championship
during his senior year, but he garnered all-conference, all-metro and
all-state honors as well.

Greg Trebil, Dan's father and a well-respected bantam hockey coach in
the Bloomington area, said Dan possessed great hockey skills in high
school.

Among his many assets are his ability to ``see the ice,'' make great
passes and remain conscientious of his teammates, but Butters said he
is most impressed with Trebil's ability to stay within himself.

``Most hockey players think they're great at everything,'' Butters
said. ``(Trebil) knows what his strengths and weaknesses are and he
prepares accordingly. He's not blessed with a lot of speed, so he has
to know his limitations.''

Many characterize Trebil as a smart hockey player, but there's more
to Dan than his on-ice skills. He is equally successful in the
classroom.

A member of the National Honor Society and a National Merit Scholar,
Trebil is majoring in pre-medicine and chemical engineering.

He was twice named a University Scholar-Athlete, and won a spot on
the WCHA All-Academic Team last season.

``He gives a full effort and he's well-rounded,'' Greg Trebil said.
``We get a lot of compliments on his play, but the first reaction
when people meet him is they say, `He's a nice boy.'

``He's got a great group of friends and I guess that's the most a
parent can ask for.''

Despite Trebil's high academic aspirations, hockey is his first
priority.

``Hockey is the most important thing in my life right now,'' Trebil
said. ``I'd love to try the NHL (National Hockey League), but I don't
want it to be an all or nothing thing. If I couldn't have hockey for
some reason I'd get along alright.''

Though drafted by the New Jersey Devils out of high school, Trebil
said that he rarely makes contact with the club.

``(Winning the national championship) is definitely a goal we all
have, but I don't want to speculate,'' Trebil said.

``(Trebil's) a winner,'' Butters said, ``And he takes pride in being
part of a winning team.''

 Gophers notes: In the latest national college hockey rankings
published by the Boston Globe, the undefeated Gophers were ranked
second, behind Boston University.

Michigan State and Colorado College follow the Gophers in the third
and fourth spots respectively.

After sweeping North Dakota at home last weekend, Colorado College
(2-0) is the only other team in the WCHA to make the top 10 .

The Gophers will not face a nationally ranked team until Thanksgiving
weekend, when No. 8 Michigan and No. 3 Michigan State will visit the
Civic Center for the College Hockey Showcase.

Pam Sweeney                             Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]       1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions
                                   1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!