From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 1994 11:55:51 -0400
Applicants for the BG head hockey coach
are being taken "by invitation only". The
interviews will be next week and a decision
will be reached within two weeks.

I have just learned that Northern Michigan
AD/Coach Rick Comley is interested in the job.
He has something interesting to offer: to also
become an assistant AD, like Jerry York was. Rick
has *real* AD experience and could really be
a benefit to the entire athletic program.

Buddy Powers does not appear to have this type
of qualification, so Rick could be a serious candidate
if the selection committee wants an assistant AD
along with their hockey coach.

The news comes in just after the local reporter
says "Powers should be the next hockey coach". He
says Bill Wilkinson and Shawn Walsh are other candidates,
but Buddy should be chosen over them. He says that WMU's
style of play is not good for college hockey, so Wilky
would not be good for BGSU. And he says that Shawn's
recent problems with the NCAA make him too risky of
a selection. He said that Wayne Wilson is one of the
top assistants, but he cannot provide the same level of
coaching that Buddy can bring to BGSU. (All of this is
from memory, so I hope I didn't mix up his words too
much.) The reporter is Kevin Gordon, by the way.

To be honest, I don't see anything seriously wrong with
any of the names being bantered around. What a nice feeling
to be able to choose from some of the best!

Keith