From:
Justin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 1994 19:15:22 CDT
Regarding John H.'s posting about the teams with the most NHL draftees...yes,
John, I believe those players were drafted after they had been attending
college.  Last summer I researched a list of all of North Dakota's draftees
(including those who had been drafted prior to enrolling at UND and those
chosen in the supplemental draft).  I came up with 94 players since 1969.
As far as I was able to tell, that number was the highest among all NCAA-I
schools (although I didn't publish that it was the highest because I don't
have absolute proof); but it was more than Michigan State, more than Wisconsin,
more than BU or BC, more (if I remember correctly) than Minnesota.  I'm not
sure Michigan had an available list.

Also (and this was prior to my arrival here in Grand Forks), North Dakota
claims that John Marks was the first collegian ever selected in an NHL draft.
This would have been in 1969.  One interesting thing I was able to acquire
during my research last summer was the round-by-round listings of every NHL
draft since it began in '69.

Justin