From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 1994 20:20:34 EDT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Dave Guay
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>        Maine High School hockey is still in its growing phase.....and the
>state tournament is still a really big deal!!  (I live in Lewiston, where
>the tournament is now held every year and haven't missed one yet!).

I'd debate this. Yes, Maine hockey is growing, but the state tournament
really isn't that big of a deal, at least not in the Bangor area. If
you were to ask someone who won the last Class A state championship, I
bet hardly anyone would have a clue as to who even made the tournament.
Basketball, baseball, and football are by far more popular.

>don't end up playing in Division I (The only three names that standout in my
>head who played HS hockey in Maine are Barry Clukey (Waterville HS,
>UMaine), Eric Weinrich (North Yarmouth Academy, UMaine), and Doug Friedman
>(NYA, Boston University).

Don't forget late bloomer Eric Fenton, from South Portland... He got
a 20-game or so tryout with the Portland Pirates. What happened after
that?

>        All in all, Maine Hockey is on the uprise (IMHO) but still needs
>to go a lot further to meet the standards set by Minn. and Mass.  Things
>are looking up for the future though.

No argument here. Since Coach Walsh came onto the scene in the mid 1980s
and built Maine into a powerhouse, Bangor area youth hockey programs
have taken off. I believe it will still be another 10 years or so
before the quality of high school players will have improved enough for
Walsh to begin recruiting Maine-grown players on a regular basis.

Ryan Robbins
Stodder Hall
University of Maine