From:
Mike Zak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 91 13:24:04 EST
mike sent this out late in February, I think that it was dated the 25th.
In trying to understand the seedings in the East I took another look at
it.  I updated to include all of the play-off games.  UNH had dropped out
of the top 8(9) spot to 10, but since I didn't know the record of the
other HE teams against UNH, I still included them since Clarkson did
play UNH.  Here they are:

No Team               Vs All Div I  Vs Top 23      Vs Top 14     Vs Top 10
5  Maine              30-8-2  .775  14-7-1  .659  12-7-0  .632   10-6-0 .625
6  Clarkson           24-7-2  .758  13-5-1  .711   4-4-1  .500    2-2-0 .500
7  Boston College     27-10-0 .730  17-6-0  .739  14-4-0  .778   10-3-0 .769
8  Boston University  25-10-2 .703  11-9-2  .545   8-8-2  .500    4-8-1 .346

I gave each team a number of points equal to their rank in each
quategory and then summed all points up, lower is better.

Maine: 1+3+2+2 = 8
Clarkson: 2+2+3.5+3 = 14.5
BC: 3+1+1+1 = 6
BU: 4+4+3.5+4 = 15.5

Well, as one can see, things are a little bit different this way.  It
appears to make no sense that the NCAA put BU ahead of BC, let alone
Clarkson.  Eventhough BU and Clarkson are close, when one looks at head
to head, Clarkson did beat BU at BU.  Even if you weight the numbers in
some fashion, I won't even try, BU still loses out.  It has been said
that the committe looks at winning percentage and strength of schedule.
Given Clarkson's winning percentage, the committee must think quite
lowly of and have no respect for the ECAC.  So Clarkson now has the
hardest road to the Final 4.  Hell, the Final 4 will be easy if we make
it there.

As for St. Lawrence's response, they are pretty mad that Cornell beat
them out.  They are also quite surprised that Clarkson did not get a
bye, or was ranked third.  Given that, they can realize how they weren't
invited but still are quite befuddled.

Clarkson-Wisconsin note:  The Calgary Flames' coach is called by Badger
Bob by Clarkson fans, the old ones.  Back in 1982, Wisconsin played at
Clarkson in NCAA play.  Wisconsin won 9-8, total goals.  That year Colin
Patterson was a Junior.  During the summer, Badger Bob left Wisconsin
and started woeing Patterson.  Patterson had been drafted by the Flames.
So in the end, Patterson wound up leaving Clarkson that year, fore-going
his Senior year.  So a lot of the local people who have been around
since then remember this and don't like Wisconsin very much.  Story, as
told by Ken.

Mike Zak
Clarkson '87, '90,...