From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 1994 10:57:34 -0500
Ouch! University of North Dakota treated us to yet another loss.

MTU 0 1 1 - 2
UND 0 2 1 - 3

1st Period:

no scoring:

2nd Period:

UND Wilson 16 (Naumenko, Litke) 00:54 ppg
MTU B. Peterson (unassisted) 5:05 ppg
UND Wilson 17 (Litke, Wynne) 19:38 ppg (5 on 3)

3rd Period:

UND Hochstein 8 (unassisted) 2:47
MTU P. Mikesch 10 (B. Peterson, Perrault) 5:30 ppg

Saves:

MTU Ram       11  6  15 - 32
UND Kvalevog   9  7   6 - 23

Powerplays

MTU 2 of 6
UND 2 of 7

Stars:

3rd Star: Ram (I think, the announcers would have given this
              to Kvalevog but could find another way to give
              a star to an MTU player>)
2nd Star: Litke
1st Star: Langdon Wilson

Commentary:

I did not report penalties above as the radio announcers
could not keep track of them. My guess is that ther were
approximately 34 penalties with a couple of 4 minute minors
a five minute major and two 10 minute misconducts. At the
end of both the 1st and 2nd periods, there were major
brouhaha's. At this point I am unable to say why they
occurred other than loss of control by the referees (Ames
and Goddard). The one at the end of the second period
caused Mancini to go ballistic which resulted in a bench
minor, putting MTU down 2 men and allowed Wilson to score.

Again, Dave Fisher's "oohs and aahs, crying and singing,"
made the game almost unbearable to listen to. From the
telecast, North Dakota took the game to  us although MTU
appeared to stay within reach. MTU looked better during the
second halves of the periods than during the beginning
of the periods.

North Dakota has a superb player in Langdon Wilson. We are
going to see more of him in the next three years. If he
is able to develop, he may be a possible future Hobey Baker
Award winner. Wilson scored twice in powerplay situations
during the second period. With 54 seconds into the period
Wilson put a rebound from Naumenko's shot through Ram's
legs. With 22 seconds left, Wilson on a two man powerplay
advantage took a pass from Wynne and buried it. In addition
to his scoring, Wilson was reported several times of just
skating over defending players. He is a play maker.

At 5:05 in the second period, Brent Peterson intercepted
an errant UND pass and slapped a shot home on a 5 minute
major assigned to Johnson for elbowing MTU's goalie, Ram.
Ram was on the ice for a few minutes but recovered and
played the remainder of the game. While Peterson was able
to score on this opportunity, extermely few shots were
taken on the UND net. MTU's weakplay was in force during
during this 5 minute major.

The only non-powerplay scoring was Hochsteins unassited
goal in the third after a Husky center ice turnover.
P. Mikesch was able to solve UND's pwerplay defence
for the game's last score.

Walt Olson
MTU