From:
"Dr. Bob Hamilton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:40:42 -0500
The St. Lawrence Cowbell Factor.  So, with cowbell they win.  Without
cowbell, they lose.  It seems you will have a big decision to make today,
Sara.   I have read the comments on the list.  I looked at NCAA and other
rules as well as comments on USCHO lists.  I have put some excerpts below.
Seems to me,
-The NCAA rule prohibits use of them while play is in progress - same as for
bands
-Conferences, Schools and sports venues can make their own rules to prohibit
them all together
-As can be seen from the USCHO post below, they are often reluctant to put
it in writing.

>>NCAA Rules
Interference by Spectators
SECTION 30.a.In the event that objects that interfere with the progress of
the game are thrown onto the ice,the official shall blow the whistle and
stop the play;and the puck shall be faced off at the spot where play is
stopped.
Fans are not permitted to throw objects on the ice.At the discretion of
the referee,a warning may be issued before the game.
b.Spectators are not permitted to use artificial noisemakers,air horns or
electronic amplifiers while the game is in progress.
c.The band(s)shall not be allowed to play while the game is in progress.
PENALTIES —a.through c.—Warning or bench minor against offending
fans ’ team for delay of game..
It is the referee ’s discretion,depending on the severity of the action,
whether or not a warning is necessary.
Note:Conferences or the proper disciplinary authority are encouraged to
develop
policies in this area if necessary.”

03-13-2005, 08:21 PM    #15
Eric
The ORIGINAL Psycho Freak Goalie
Location: Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Re: Are cowbells/noisemakers permitted/tolerated in your arena?

----

I've had no problem carrying a cowbell in and using it at Yost, at the Omaha
Civic Arena, and I could have used a cowbell, had I brought one, at the
Whitt.

Ohio State allowed me to bring the cowbell in, and didn't say anything,
however, as soon as I had struck one note, there was an usher there right
away, telling me I couldn't use it.

As far as NCAA tournament events, I had no issues in Albany, Buffalo, or St
Paul for the Frozen Fours. At Manchester for the NCAA Regional, I was
allowed to bring a cowbell in one day, used it through 2 periods and then
was told I wasn't allowed to (although, for some reason, UNH fans at the
other end of the arena were still allowed to use theirs). The next day, I
wasn't even allowed to bring it in, I was told that an "NCAA Policy"
prohibited cowbells. I checked the NCAA hockey rulebook, the championships
manual, and even the NCAA member's manual, and the only rule I could find
was that they wouldn't be allowed while the puck was in play. After a few
emails with Tom Jacobs, of the NCAA Hockey Championship Committee, I was
told that they weren't allowed, that it was a "longstanding NCAA rule", and
that the rule wasn't written down anywhere in any document that's publicly
viewable. (take that for what you will)