From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:04:26 -0500
For Immediate Release
Contact Dave Geringer, Sports Information Director, (508) 990-9651  [log in to unmask]
Friday, February 24, 2006

UMASS DARTMOUTH HOCKEY HOSTS PLAYOFF OPENER

NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA– The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth’s hockey team will try to ride the longest winning streak in the nation all the way to their first NCAA Tournament berth this season.

The Corsairs will try to take the first step on that journey when they host Salve Regina Saturday afternoon in the first round of the ECAC Northeast Conference hockey playoffs. Game time at the Stephen Hetland Memorial Ice Arena is 4:30 p.m.

UMass Dartmouth and SRU will be meeting for the second time this season. The Corsairs won, 4-3, at Hetland February 1st. In that game, the Seahawks scored two power play goals and a shorthanded goal, and ended UMD’s streak of 48 consecutive penalties killed without giving up a goal.

“We’ve had a very good season to this point, but the bottom line is that we’re 0-0 today, as are the other seven teams in the playoffs,” said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach John Rolli. “There is very little difference between the top seed and the eighth seed in our league. We struggled to beat them February 1st, we were out shot, 29-24, and they scored two of the nine power play goals we’ve given up all season. They’re a lunch pail club, just like we are, and it will be a low-scoring, tight-checking game.”

Getting the lead is always important in a playoff game, and SRU is one of two teams that has scored the first goal against the Corsairs during their winning streak. “They are a very dangerous team, and they play a style that is suitable to doing well as an underdog,” said Rolli. “They will play a 1-2-2 trap all over the ice, and they are a tough draw.”

In order to advance Saturday, the Corsairs must play a solid game. “We need to carry the play, and shots on net will be very indicative of that,” said Rolli. “We need to stay out of the penalty box, and play one period at a time. They are a very good team with the lead.”

Saturday’s winner will advance to the semi-finals next Wednesday evening. The two highest remaining seeds will host Wednesday night’s games.

UMASS DARTMOUTH HOCKEY