From:
Nathan Hampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:14:57 -0600
The Minnesota Viking solution to their "boating accident" was to start
winning. Every TV commentator said that if they started winning, then the
problem would go away.

Unfortunately for the Gophers, they not only "just" split up at SCSU, but
then get only one point up in Duluth this weekend. There goes the Dairy
Queen Cup. But this slow part of the season where they are losing regularly,
is going to cost them some public support on this issue.

However, I do not think Don Lucia is going to be swayed by wins or public
opinion. He is going to make a statement about discipline, commitment, and
leadership. He is obviously very strict about academic performance, and I
would think he is also strict about social performance.

Nevertheless, someone should find a school where this does NOT happen. It
happens in St. Cloud, in Dinkytown, in Grand Forks, and in Orono. What was
the small school (last year?) that had players drinking in a hotel room (in
Grand Forks?) and one player cut his hand because a picture got broke while
they were bouncing on the beds? These are college kids doing teenage things.
I am just glad they were out in public drinking at a bar instead of doing it
while hiding in a "hockey house". The TV report does not lie, and given that
they went back to the same place a number of times and even tried to
interview the players, I would call it responsible journalism. But in the
big view of things, this is small potatoes.

Nathan Hampton