Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 20:53:41 -0600
At 09:19 PM 4/18/99 -0500, Erik wrote:

>Get a clue.  Big 10 basketball is more popular than college hockey, even
>here in Minnesota.
>
>Can't we bash someone else for a while?

No bashing, just an honest question. Most people with Minnesota connections
I've talked to have told me that the basketball program has only become
more popular in the last 7-10 years -- yes, BEFORE the final four
appearance. The basketball program has always been there, and responses
from people on the list point to the fact that the basketball team is
generally regarded as being a more succesful team over the past 8 years.

All the more reason that I question whether most Gopher hockey fans care
more about having a winning team instead of an all-Minnesota lineup.

Not to mention, when movies like Fargo -- and so many of you on this list
-- proliferate the impression that everyone in Minnesota loves the Gopher
hockey team, that tickets are always impossible to get, that the fans are
so proud of the all-native team, it only makes me wonder why there aren't
similar feelings about the basketball team.

Big East basketball is more popular than college hockey, and arugably Big
East football. But unless the BC hoops team is having a stellar year
there's much more focus on football and hockey, even in their down years.

Give your paranoia a break, Erik. Go fan your own flames for a change.

greenie
a "foreigner" recruited to an American college