From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 21:54:52 -0600
Sorry, I just couldn't let this one slide.

Tony wrote:
>>From today's (10/02/95) Duluth News Tribune:
>
>COLORADO COLLEGE LOADED, BUT COACHES PICK GOPHERS

{snip}

>     Center Brian Bonin of Minnesota, who was last season's league most
>valuable
>player, was chosen preseason MVP.  He got 7-1/2 votes.  Defensemen Nick
>Naumenko
>of North Dakota and Mike Crowley of Wisconsin got one each, and Wisconsin
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Badgers only wish!  :-)
Crowley is a Gopher -- and last year's WCHA Rookie of the Year -- who was
heavily recruited by Wisconsin.

Question:  Coaches can't vote for their own team in the
standings-prediction part of the balloting.  Can they vote for their own
players for MVP?  Because only 1.5 of the 10 votes went to non-Gophers.
This would tell us that Wooger voted for Naumenko.  (Technically it could
be half a vote for Naumenko, half a vote for Williams, with someone else
casting half a vote for Bonin, half for Naumenko -- but that's unlikely.)

But I've gotta say I was hoping the coaches would vote for CC, given their
past record.  (Yeah, I know it's a silly superstition.)  The poor
performance of the WCHA coaches in predicting their conference winner is
just another reminder that preseason polls are the ultimate ceramic
dalmations!  But, by golly, they're s'posed to be conversation pieces.
So...

I know we've got at least a couple St. Cloud Huskies fans around.  What do
you people think of being ranked 9th?  I think St. Cloud has an impressive
freshman class coming in.  (Got a couple of guys who sure would have looked
good in maroon and gold, but I guess Wooger can't sign 'em all!)

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!
Nastier, Bigger, Faster in '95-'96!