From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 1994 15:26:54 MDT
* Subject: spt050.html

            FALCONS BRING EXPERIENCE, EXCITEMENT BACK TO THEICE

        AFA opens tonight with thoughts of last year's finish

   By Steve Page

   Erik Brown likes this hockey team. It suits his style.

   "This is a basic Air Force, hard-working type of team, but with a lot
   more experience," Brown said as the Falcons prepared for their
   season-opening series against 11th-ranked New Hampshire at 7 tonight
   and Saturday at Cadet Ice Arena.

   "This is a lot hungrier team than when I started here. After the
   positive note we finished on last year, everybody's a believer."

   Air Force, a Division I independent, won 12 of 18 games in the second
   half of the 1993-94 season. The Falcons finished fast by winning seven
   of their last eight en route to a 15-16-1 record.

   They'll need to continue that surge if they are to challenge the
   Wildcats, who have not lost to the Falcons in the past 12 meetings.
   That includes an 8-1, 6-0 sweep in the second week of last season.

   Tenth-year AFA coach Chuck Delich said the Falcons will all need to
   play like Brown, his third-line left wing, this weekend.

   "He is not going to light it (the scoreboard) up, but he works hard
   all the time," Delich said.

   "He has a great attitude, and he understands his role. He's one of
   those guys who gets the job done."

   Brown, a senior co-captain from Madison, Conn., said that's all he's
   trying to do.

   "I'm kind of a blue-collar, grind-it-out player," he said. "Get in
   there, be aggressive, and get it done."

   The same applies to the leadership role he shares with defenseman Beau
   Bilek and wing Andy Veneri.

   "The work ethic is a big aspect," Brown said. "I try to lead by
   example. I'm not a big talker. The people on this team respect
   effort."

   Brown said that after three weeks of practice, the Falcons are
   prepared.

   "We're ready to go -- for sure," he said. "We're very optimistic. Our
   goal of .500 or better is very attainable for this group.

   "These guys (the Wildcats) are strong. They're just loaded. If we play
   the way we're capable of, these should be good games.

   "Everybody's itching, everybody's edgy, everybody's ready."

   That sentiment is shared by Delich, who said, "I know they (players)
   are tired of running into each other. They may as well go run into
   somebody else.

   "I think they're ready to play somebody. Are they ready to play New
   Hampshire? We'll find out."