From:
Steve Kapetanakis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Kapetanakis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 1994 10:11:31 EST
Boston Globe 3-11-94
by Bob Monahan

Hockey East obtained a restraining order yesterday in a Bangor
court that will not prevent the University of Maine from playing
in the tournament quarterfinals this weekend but could keep the
Black Bears from advancing beyond that.

Boston attorney Philip Burling obtained the order in Penobscot
County Superior Court, and league commissioner Bob DeGregorio
said a hearing is scheduled there next Wednesday.

The action was in response to an injunction obtained by Maine
Wednesday from Judge Robert L. Browne that effectively overturned
Hockey East's decision to bar the Black Bears from postseason play
for using an ineligible player.  As a result, defending national
champion Maine, which has forfeited 21 games because of NCAA
sanctions for the infraction, will visit top seed Boston University
for the best-of-three quarterfinals, starting tonight.  The winner
goes on to Boston Garden for the semifinals next weekend.

"[Browne] put up all the obstacles that Maine needed to get into
the tournament," said DeGregorio.  "So we have to let Maine play
in the tournament against Boston University.  Then we can go into
the hearing.  If BU wins, we just might cancel the hearing.  But
we might try to put an end to this so it never happens again with
these people.

"If Maine were to beat BU, we will continue and go to the hearing,
and if we win in court Wednesday, then we'll eliminate Maine from
Boston Garden and enter BU.  If Maine were to beat BU and we lose
at the hearing, then Maine advances.  The hearing will not be held
before Judge Browne.

"The bad part is that we may be stuck with this," added DeGregorio.
"If Maine were to beat BU and then win the Hockey East playoffs,
Maine would get an automatic bid for the NCAA regionals in Albany.
But if that were to happen, I think the majority of people would
understand that we tried to stand up for the rules, fair play and
sportsmainship."

Maine has been drawing close scrutiny from the NCAA's eligibility
committee for three infractions that resulted in penalties: a 14-game
suspension to Cal Ingraham to start the 1993-94 season; forfeiture
of three games to Prividence College for using ineligible freshman
Jeff Tory; and forfeiture of the 21 games in which graduate student
Patrice Tardif played when he was carrying insufficient credits.

Now the word is that the NCAA Rules Infractions Committee is about
to investigate the Black Bears.

No matter what happens in the Maine-BU series, the Terriers will
advance to the regionals because of their record and the fact they
are ranked No. 1 in the nation.

--- End Quoted Matterial ---