Sender:
From:
"But....these go to eleven." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 1994 21:01:23 -0400
Whoops, I think I missed the original question here...

>As for the Colgate Red Raiders? I'm probably correct in assuming
> that Colgate has more sports than hockey. What do the other Colgate
>teams use?

  All the teams are the Red Raiders.  I seem to remember at one point
there was some sort of official change to just 'Raiders' but absolutely
no one paid any attention to that (if it even happened).  The hockey
rink has always had 'Colgate Red Raiders' painted in large letters at
one end.

  Interestingly, there was a survey that recently went around seeing how
people feel about getting a mascot.  (Currently, there is no mascot,
and also no Indian imagery at all on anything relating to the sports teams.)
The mascot, if it happens, would be something like a pirate or other
non-Indian sort of thing.  (I guess they don't want to create any
problems where none exist.)  Supposing the mascot does happen in a couple
of years, what happens then?  Does the name 'Red Raiders' suddenly
become non-offensive?

Carl Lindberg