Sender:
From:
S Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1993 13:23:56 EST
In a surprisingly well attended game involving an unexpectedly
enthusiastic crowd (and that's not just my perception, it's Rick
Comley's as reported in the postgame radio inteview), the Northern
Michigan Wildcats opened the 1993-94 season with a 5-2 win over the
Ferris State Bulldogs in Lakeview Arena.  In what the Marquette Mining
Journal called a "blue collar" performance the extremely balanced
Wildcats got goals from five different players, including a freshman
defenseman who also notched two assists.  After a brisk but somewhat
ragged first period the score was 2-2 , and the Bulldogs led 1-0 and 2-1
during that stanza.  After that, however, NMU seemed to begin to
dominate most of the play.  Actually, even in the first period 'Cat
goalie Paul Taylor was credited with only a single save, while giving up
two goals.  Noteworthy was the fact that the 'Cats' two biggest scoring
threats returning from last year's club, Greg Hadden and Brent
Riplinger, were not among the goal scorers.

Northern scored twice in the second period to make it 4-2 and finished
the scoring with one more goal in the final period.  The Wildcats
outshot the Bulldogs 47-27 according to the Mining Journal.  That means
the 'Cats missed the net 20 times, then, since excellent Ferris goalie
Kisko made only 22 saves.  Taylor was credited with a total of 15 saves,
I believe.

Details on scoring and statistics later today.

 *  Steve Christopher, NMU  [log in to unmask] - GO CATS!  * * * *    *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey National Champions  1990-91   * "WE'VE *   *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey Final Eight 1991-92           *  ONLY  *   *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey Final Eight 1992-93           *  JUST  *   *
 *  WCHA League Champions 1990-91                        *  BEGUN"*   *
 *  WCHA Playoff Champions 1988-89/1990-91/1991-92         * * * *    *