Sender:
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 91 22:05:37 EST
In Tonight's Michigan Tech-Denver hockey game, the Denver Pioneers did
something that seems very strange to me.  With Tech ahead, 6-3, with a
little over 5 minutes left in the 3rd period, Denver pulled their goalie.
That in itself isn't strange but when we scored a short time later, the
goalie stayed out!  And we scored again. And again.  In the span of about
3 minutes, Tech scored 3 empty-net goals.  After the third empty-netter,
the goalie came back in.  It seems really strange to me that they would
do that.  It doesn't make too much sense.  With 25 seconds left, we
scored our tenth goal, the first time in a long time that we have hit
double digits.  Someone in the band commented that it didn't seem to
matter whether or not the goalie was in there, and I thought maybe that
was the point the Denver coach was trying to get across to his team.

   On a side note, the band had two new (to me anyway) cheers for the
referees tonight.  The first one was something like this:
"Zebra, Zebra, short and stout.  Find your head and pull it out."
The second, which has three lines, the first said by one half of the
band, the second by the other half, and the third said by the whole:
"We got a rope.  We got a tree.  Now all we need is a referee."

Jeff Trembath