Sender:
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 90 10:13:39 EST
Sorry I couldn't reply to the original message, our mailer is being a pain in
the butt.

A few weeks back, USA Today did an interview with the Alabama Huntsville coach.
I was surprised to read that when Alabama-Huntsville went to Division I
independent from the club level, their fans dropped off considerably.  The coach
said it was because that when they played club, they played local teams,
such as Auburn, University of Tennessee, etc.  People knew these schools, and
the Chargers would draw 6000 a game.  When they started playing teams like
Merrimack (He mentioned us by name), the people had no idea who Merrimack was
and hence, attendance dropped to about 3500.

It's worth noting that 3500 is bigger than Merrimack has drawn in a long time.
(I'm not sure about the BC game last week, but I tend to doubt it.)  I don't
think Merrimack has ever drawn 6000 for a hockey game.  People down there must
really love the Chargers.

As for the team, I saw them play once this year, against Merrimack where they
tied the Warriors 6-6 on the Warriors opening night here in North Andover.  I
heard they played a tough game against Lowell, but I might be wrong.  I may be
thinking of Kent State.

Merrimack has two more games against the Chargers down in Huntsville later this
year.  Those should be good games.