Sender:
From:
"Douglas J. Coffman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 90 20:47:39 EST
Well, we're finally back in session here at Michigan Tech and an issue
of the _Lode_ came out Friday, so here is the article on our icers:

"Icers to take on Tigers"
_Michigan Tech Lode_ December 7, 1990
Volume 70, Number 10
(Reprinted Without Permission)

by: Jeff Peters
Staff Writer

The Michigan Tech Hockey Huskies will take on the Colorado College
Tigers this weekend in a Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA)
series. {Already over.  Friday CC 6, MTU 5  Saturday MTU 6, CC 0
                                            First Shut-Out since 1983!!!}

Both Friday's and Saturday's game will begin at 7:05 p.m. in the Student
Ice Arena.  The games can be heard on the radio on WZRK 93.5 FM.

Colorado College is 1-14-1 overall and 1-12-1 in the WCHA.  THe Tigers
tied and lost a pair to the University of Minnesota-Duluth last weekend.

Colorado is led offensively by senior center Ed Zawatsky with 5 goals
and 15 assists for a total of 20 points.

Colorado's goaltender has been senior Jon Gustafson.  He holds a 2.98
goals agains average and a .889 saves percentage.

Other Tigers to watch for are right wing Steve Strunk, defenseman Shawn
Reid , and defenseman Chris Hynnes.

"Colorado College is a much better team than their record indicates,"
said Michigan Tech Head Coach Newell Brown.  "Most of their losses have
been by only one goal.  They are a quick team and have a good balanced
attack."

The Huskies go inot this weekend's games 6-8-1 overall and 3-8-1 in the
WCHA.  Thech was swept by Northern Michigan last weekend, 6-3 Friday at
Northern and 4-3 Satruday in Houghton.

We didn't play badly against Northern, they're a very good team and we
didn't quit," coach Brown said.  "We were tied going into the thrid
period in both games."

For this weekend's games, the Huskies will be juggling the lines and
making a few changes defensively.

"We have a good chance to go ahead of them by eight points [in the
standings] and the team knows thay can do it," said Brown
optimistically.  "One thing we really ahve going for us is our depth.  I
know that I can play anyone off the bench and not have to worry about
it."

Before Thanksgiving break the Huskes swept the University of
Alaska-Fairbanks, 6-2 and 5-3.

Senior Kelly Hurd had four goals and foru assists in the series while
sophomore John Young had three goals and four assists.

Freshman goalkeeper Jamie Ram had 36 saves in the November 9 game and
freshman Scott Vettraino had 18 the following night.

Over the break, Tech also swept St. Cloud State at St. Cloud, 5-3 and
6-5.

Freshman Jim Storm was the offensive hero that weekend, scoring four
goals and two assists.

Goaltenders Ram and Junior Geoff Sarjeant combined for a total of 52
saves in that WCHA series.

The Huskies didn't fair as well agains the Universtiy of Minnesota.  The
Golden Gophers won both WCHA games.  7-2 on Friday and 2-0 in Saturday
night's competition.

Hurd scored both goals for Tech while Young assisted on both.

Sarjeant saved 34 shots on Friday and Ram saved 37 on Saturday.

"We played well over the break, the losses to Minnesota hurt but they
are in first place," said Brown.

The offensive leaders going into tonight's game {which was against
Colorado College} are Kelly Hurd with 22 points and John Young with 21
points.

Finally, Newel Brown debuted his own radio show this past Tuesday.  The
show will air every Tuesday from 6 to 7 p.m.  It will be hosted by Bob
Olson, the voice of the Hockey Huskies.

The program will talk about how the Huskies are doing and about upcoming
games. {The program is on WZRK.}