Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:29:00 -0500
From:
Kirk Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
There is a good resource at www.hockeydb.com, which can help one to
solve these memory games.  Some older non-NHL teams only have rosters
without stats, but it's often a good place to start.

Player Search and Team Search are the two methods with which I search
most often.  It's a little picky when querying team names--for the
Gophers, entering "Minnesota" in Team Name won't work (because they're
filed under "U. of Minnesota").  I find college teams by entering "MN"
in State and "NCAA" in League.

For example, Red Hay shows up as playing at CC, and suspiciously, a
"Bill Hay" started a pro career in 1959, eventually leading to the
Blackhawks, the year after Red's last roster at CC.

For another example, there is a Tom Williams from Duluth who played
for the Bruins throughout the '60s, but he does not appear on the
college rosters.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid%5B%5D=5742

(A closer look at the Gopher teams reveals that hockeydb.com is
missing most rosters for the '50s, so hockeydb can't disprove Tom
Williams.  Anyway, if you're sure a player was a collegian, you can at
the very least check out his pro stats on this site. :)

Kirk

--
Want a Google Mail beta account?  I love mine--ask me for an invite. -KE