Sender:
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 15:16:05 -0700
At 05:38 PM 1/1/99 -0500, Deron Teadwell wrote:
>MAINE 4, DENVER 3

>From the radio broadcast it sounds like Maine goaltender Alfie Michaud
>was outstanding and the reason Maine came out on top in this one.
>Michaud made several sparkling saves in the final two minutes to
>preserve the win.

Big time.

The Pioneers that have been playing these last three games are a vastly
improved, unified squad over the one that played earlier this season. They
played the same kind of game they did against Boston College -- very
aggressive forechecking with good puck movement in the neutral zone.

Although Michaud perfoemd solidly throughout the match, it was his ability
to stand tall in the third period that made the biggest difference for the
Black Bear victory.

Although Maine headed into the 2nd break with a 3-2 advantage, it was clear
the Pioneers were on the upswing as they only allowed THREE shots on Wagner
during the second period.

The momentum gained incredible speed 3 minutes into the period when a
flurry of Denver attacks resulted int the equalizer. Most DU fans in
attendance were instantly reminded of the Denver Cup championship played
only 5 days earlier, especially as DU poured on the attack in the third.

Michaud kept solid however, not just in knocking aside a variety of shots
but in smart clears and puck control when DU would dump and chase. Credit
Michaud with an outstanding job at poking the puck away when DU captain
Paul Comrie broke in on the corner.

As DU's attacks were stymied by Michaud, the rest of the Black Bears began
to play forward more confidently, the pressure eventually breaking through
the Pioneer middle to give Maine the 4-3 advantage.

The crowd rallied as Denver pressed hard, but Michaud wasn't letting
anything through by the end of this one -- unlike the game against BC,
Denver wasn't about to win one with a fluky shot out of the corner.

While this was a good win for Maine, the squad did seem a bit weary at
times. Still, the unity and crisp passing displayed by Maine proved to me
that we should all expect them in the final four. Especially compared with
the play of Boston Collge the previous week, Maine showed a much more
disciplined, focused squad. The only slipup came in the first 6-7 minutes
and the final 3 of the third period, as the Maine defenders were too often
caught back on their heels and were unable to stop the Pioneer movement
between the blue lines.

With games remaining at Colorado College and then -- two days later! -- at
Boston University, the Black Bears will do well do win 2 of 3 on this road
stretch. Should they pull out all three victories, Maine should
unquestionably be ranked as the top squad in the country. However, it will
be a tough visit to the World Arena indeed. Would I could see that game!

As for the Pioneers, it's a struggling squad that I feel is playing just
about they best they can right now. Three games in a row against the best 3
teams from the East -- 3 of the best in the country -- can prove an
emotional boost for the team, as can be seen in the victory over BC.
However I can't help but think they're just a bit too spent for today's
match against UNH, and with the recent Wildcat victory at the World Arena
the Pioneers face a real battle this afternoon.

About the only factor that can be put into the Pioneers' favor would be
potential weariness due to travel.