Sender:
From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:22:49 -0400
Kevin Ames wrote in Gopher Notes:

>Gophers athletes posted an all-time high grade-point average of 2.84 in
>the fall and repeated that in the winter and spring quarters. The
>Gophers athletes have improved .20 grade-points since 1990 and are
>within .20 of the totals of the women athletes.

Perhaps one could be more accurate and complete, as I have indicated in
brackets in my copy which follows:

Gophers [male ??] athletes [not counting those having left school for
reasons of poor grades ?] posted an all-time high grade-point average of
2.84 [out of what -- 3.00, 4.00, 5.00 ??] in the fall and repeated that in
the winter and spring quarters. The Gophers [male ??] athletes have
improved .20 grade-points since 1990 and are [temporarily, as the numbers
will change every semester] within .20 of the totals of the women athletes
[at the same school ?]

So, beyond the above analysis, might I ask further:

Fall, Winter and Spring total the number three.  How can three divisions
taken of a total of something be called quarters ??

And who should be more upset at this news, the men for doing so poorly for
so long, or the women for being demonstrated to be only marginally superior
than the men ?

Not to mention, (but I will anyway), perhaps the course load is not exactly
the same in the two populations, so any conclusions are invalid because the
basis of  measurement is not using equal comparisons ?  What about weighted
grades based upon course difficulty ?  Any greater number of basket-weaving
courses in the mix since 1990 for either group ?

How did each do, let's say, in first year English ?

Ah, the summer doldrums...

Dan Doucette
UMaine 78 MPA 80

*** Isn't it fitting someone named Garth Snow is playing for ***
***                  a team in Canada   ???                  ***

            Title IX for Women's Hockey Discussion -
         When will someone sue for a Women's HOCKEY-L ?