Sender:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:13:23 -0400
7bit
From:
Adam Wodon-Around the Rinks <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
> Actually, I am pretty certain that a team has two years to sign a draftee
> (not including college years).  For instance, the Bruins have until 99 to
> sign Thornton, or he goes back in for the 99 draft.

Correct.

> As for the 18 - 19 year old thing.  I too thought that only 19 year olds
> (or those about to be 19) were eligible.  I remember when the last CBA was
> signed that was one of the provisions.  The only thing I can think of is
> that hasn't taken effect yet.  Anyone know where we can look that up?

The date is September 15.  Marleau will be 18 on September 15, making him the
youngest player in the draft.

The draft is for 19-year olds -- But players that are 18 can "opt-in" - thus
eliminating college eligibility.

Apparently, there is a new rule for players that just graduate from college.
There used to be a supplemental draft for those kinds of players, but that was
done away with a few years ago.  For example, 26-year old Erik Andersson from
Denver, along with teammate Anti Laaksonen (24) were drafted.  To my knowledge,
this is the first year those types of players were "draft-able"

AW