Sender:
From:
Dave Wollstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:26:23 -0500
Paula Weston's article on University of Michigan hockey fans in the current
edition of US College Hockey Online includes a report on the "ever popular
sieve cheer", which goes: "You're not a goalie, you're a sieve. You're not a
sieve, you're a funnel. You're not a funnel, you're a vacuum. You're not a
vacuum, you're a black hole. You Just Suck! You Just Suck! You Just Suck!"
Although it's not explicitly stated in the article that this cheer and other
raucus fan activity originated in Ann Arbor, it's strongly implied.

This leaves me with a question. I remember distinctly hearing such a cheer by
the Cornell University student section in the early 1990s, when Hockey East
and the ECAC both held their league tournaments on the same weekend at the
Boston Garden (the event was called "Hockeyfest"). The question, obviously,
is who copied who? Did Cornell have that cheer (and others) first, and some
enterprising Wolverine copied them, or vice versa?