Sender:
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:36:32 -0500
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and I really hope that I'm
wrong).

I went to a site in Washington DC that was going to show both games of
the Beanpot tournment via a satillite feed. However, at 6:00 I was
informed by a BU alum that BU refused to carry the BC - Northeastern
game because both schools refused to pay BU $12,000 each for them to
show the game.

Does anyone in Boston know if channel 68 carried both games?

If BU is going to charge the other schools money to carry their games,
then no way channel 68 should ever be awarded the Beanpot telecast
ever again. In the long run, showing only one game could hurt the
integrity of the tournment and interest of the schools in general. Already,
I have an impression of BU (the owner of channel 68) as a group of
greedy, incompetent buffoons that can't make an intelligent decision. This
has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I'm sure that I'm not the only alum that feels this way. I talked to a number
of older BU alums in the DC area that were equally disappointed
(disgusted?) at BU's actions.

I look forward to another station carrying the Beanpot games next year.
If channel 68's management can't turn a profit after the amount they bid
for the rights to the game, perhaps its time to bring in a new management
team that will be able to analyze the station's financial situation correctly,
bid the right price, hire competent sales reps to sell advertising and not
have to try to extort money from the other school's in order to show the
game.