Sender:
From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 13:46:43 -0600
Responding to the message of         Tue, 4 Feb 1997 10:41:18 -0600
from John Gaalaas <[log in to unmask]>:

> Ok I have two questions to ask all the detractors of Gopher recruiting
> policies:
>         1.  If you are an opponent of the Gophers isn't it good to see
> them
> recruiting so poorly?

1. They aren't recruiting poorly, Woog just hasn't won a championship with
the best players Minnesota, heck, even the nation, has to offer.  The point
was that good players going to different schools (I believe the examples
were Derek Plante and Chris Marinucci at UMD) make it to, and, in Plante's
case as well as others, excel in the NHL.

>         and
>
>         2.  Would this be an issue if the Gophers were at the bottom of
> the WCHA
> with Tech?
>                                                  John Gaalaas
>                                               (conceited Gopher fan)

2. You bet!  It doesn't matter.  Being in the Twin Cities, John, you should
know that when the Bears or Packers come to town, Vikings fans hate 'em
wherever they are in the standings.  It's the same thing.

When I first went to UMD in '91, I thought that: I really like the Gophers,
because I grew up in the Saint Paul area, and I will continue to like them,
except for when they play UMD.  I was wrong.  The whole team shows no
respect for anyone, and they've become much more "cheap" over the years.  I
think seeing them from a distance helped me to see things I normally
wouldn't see.

Yes, Duluthians pretty much hate the "Big campus" hockey team, probably
because it's the only sport the Bulldogs can compete with the Gophers in,
and the only chance they have to beat them in something.  What really
surprised me, though, was the reaction to Spehar choosing the UMTC.  People
saw (see) him as a traitor, while 23 months ago they cheered him and his
teammates for their state championship, and 11 months ago they cried for
him and his teammates after 5 overtimes with Apple Valley.

Now that I am at the Twin Cities campus, sure, I would like to see them win
a championship, I like to support all of the teams here.  But on a personal
basis I'd also like to see them get knocked around a little, especially by
UMD.  If I were able to get tickets to the games, except UMD, I would
definitely cheer and sing the Rouser as loud as anyone.  But that's because
I have pride in my school, not Doug Woog.

Tony Frolik