Sender:
From:
Leigh Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 11:45:33 -0500
OK, I gotta get in on all this chat about U Minn, UND, and Canadians.  I will
tell you all my biases up front--I am a UND grad, had two canadian
grandmothers whom I dearly loved, lived in the South until college, spent
a month every summer in Canada with my grandparents.  During my time
at UND, the band played both national anthems, which made perfect
sense to me since hockey is a sport popular throughout North America.

Did I appreciate U Minners saying ugly things about our players who
were Canadian and/or criticizing us for playing both anthems?  Well, not
particularly.  Is there something special and unique about hockey in
Minnesota?  As someone who drove through some memorable snow
storms to watch the Broten brothers play high school hockey, I gotta say
yes.  If U Minn wants only state residents on their teams, fine by me.  If
they want to "trash talk" about others who have a different recruiting
policy, that's not fine with me.

As a U Mich season ticket holder, fer sure I am glad that Brendan
Morrison and Jason Botterill are here.  Go Blue and Go Sioux--we'll see
who else gets to Grand Rapids and Worchester.

By the way, the team I always hated most was Wisconsin.  To the (male)
fan who punched me in the face because I told him to stop hitting a
young lady, may you have a huge beer gut and no hair now.

Leigh Ann