Sender:
From:
Pat Gonzales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 09:17:45 -0500
 Wayne Hickenbottom writes:
<<       I am curious whether the WCHA would allow some teams to split their
series if there was mutual agreement? >>

Apologies if a dozen fans have already replied -- I'm on Digest.

A number of teams already have "home and home" series -- Michigan Tech and
Northern Michigan, Colorado College and Denver, Minnesota and St. Cloud. The
game the first night is played in one city, the game the next night is in the
other city. The Friday/Saturday advantage (? :-) ) is changed over the next time
the two meet.

For a hypothetical example (provided by this Gopher fan :-) ): Friday night /
November meeting, Minnesota hosts St. Cloud. Saturday night, Gophers travels to
Huskies. In February meeting, St. Cloud has the home Friday night game, and the
Gophers are at home against the Huskies on Saturday night. (Did that make
sense?)

The only problem would be deciding who would be at home which night and who
would be away.

For the Gophers, I don't know if a home/home with Duluth would be that appealing
-- it is a 3-4 hour drive up north, longer if the game is in November-February
(our most likely winter storm season). I'm sure home/home would be OK with
Mankato State, as they're about as far from the Twin Cities as St. Cloud.

I'm sure, though, that St. Cloud would like to play the Gophers 4 times in a
year, and not 2 -- we're their biggest rivals.

Pat Gonzales
U of Minn. Press