Sender:
From:
Lee Urton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:02:13 -0500
> According to an article in the Minneapolis Star and Tribune this past
> Sunday Steve DeBus is considering leaving the University of Minnesota.

There was an article addressing this story in yesterday's (Monday, April
15) Minnesota Daily. The gist of the article was that the Star Tribune
article was mostly mistaken.

Apparently, DeBus did receive the scholarship as suggested in the
article, and he *was* unhappy about it, but had no real intentions of
leaving the team. He did call a former coach of his who is now an
assistant coach in the NHL, but it was more of a fact-finding mission --
he was interested in how his "stock" is doing.

He said that unless some team makes him an offer he couldn't refuse
(unlikely in the extreme, I would think), he will be back next year.

Which is a good thing. If DeBus were to leave, that would mean Minnesota
would start next season without a goalie who had seen any time at the
collegiate level, since Moen, the other goalie of last year's tandem,
is graduating this spring.

Also, to further this semi-moronic thread of cheers, I have been
attempting to start some new cheers involving Steve DeBus:

"Steve! Sieve! Steve! Sieve!"

and

"DeBus! Da Bum! DeBus! Da Bum!"

They have been ill received, however, primarily because Minnesota fans
seem uninterested in cheers started by a guy in a BU sweatshirt.

                                -Lee-nerd

"It is not written in the stars that I will always understand what is
going on - a truism that I often find damnably annoying."
                                -Robert Heinlein