Sender:
From:
Lee Urton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 14:16:54 -0600
On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, Donovan DeJong wrote:

> My housemate who really new little to nothing about hockey 7 months ago
> now has can define a hat trick, PPG, and knows that when I start yelling
> at the TV while watching a Gophs game it's probably becuase Mr. Trebil
> has just muffed catching a pass or such and the opposing team has
> obligingly scored on the ensuing breakaway.  While Trebil's shot from the
> point may be respectable it does not make up for what I consider his
> poor puck-handling play/speed the other 99% of the time he's on the ice.
> I think his best quality may be his leadership which is necessary in
> a team but I do not believe he is as good as some credit him to be.

I couldn't disagree with this more. To suggest that Trebil's only purpose
is to take the hard shot from the point and be a leader in the locker room
is to really ignore some fine play.

I will agree that occasionally Trebil makes mistakes, even costly ones.
But then again, so does everyone else. Even Mike Crowley (bless his soul).

I will even agree that Trebil is as slow as molasses in January. If an
opposing forward has the puck and is streaking for the net and the only
defenseman capable of catching up is Trebil, you have to trust your
goalie to make the save. He ain't gettin' back.

But you are overlooking many of Mr. Trebil's very obvious skills.

Over the last two years, I haven't seen anyone in the country who is a
better poke-checker than Trebil. He is constantly doing it. If the opposing
forward has the puck and is streaking for the net and Trebil is ALREADY
caught up with him, count on the poke check. Guaranteed.

This year, he has worked very hard to make up for his defensive mistakes
of the previous few years, and it shows. He is a much more improved
defensive player this year than last. No question. Quite possibly the
most improved on the team.

I don't know if that is the reason for the dip in his offensive
production. I haven't seen him take that wicked shot from the blueline as
often -- but then again, he hasn't had to.

I saw a statistic about two-thirds of the way through the season
regarding forced turnovers. It turns out Trebil leads the team in causing
forced turnovers -- more than twice the next player. More than twice!

With Trebil and Crowley on the ice, I am completely confident in the
defensive play. Crowley has taken a much more agressive turn as
defenseman this season -- probably at the urging of the coaching staff,
since he has such poise and brilliant stick handling. But that means that
the other member of the defensive pair has to be back minding the store,
and that's Trebil.

If anything, I think Trebil doesn't get enough respect. He didn't make
first or second All-WCHA team last year (despite leading all defensmen in
scoring), and only made the second team this year.

With a Crowley on the team, obviously expectations of defensemen run
very VERY high, and I think Dan Trebil has suffered from that. But there
is no doubt in my mind that he is the second best defenseman on the
team, and in fact I think he is more valuable than Crowley with leadership
and experience thrown in. In my mind, they are the best defensive PAIR in
the country, bar none.

                                -Lee-nerd

"It is not written in the stars that I will always understand what is
going on - a truism that I often find damnably annoying."
                                -Robert Heinlein