Sender:
From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 1996 18:32:30 -0600
Indy quoted Walt:
>>In late breaking news, Doug Woog, Coach of Minnesota has received a one
>>game suspension for unspecified inappropriate behavior toward the
>officials
>>in Minnesota's 4-3 OT win over Wisconsin.
>
>According to Gregg Wong (in this mornings St. Paul Pioneer Press), Woog
>went ballistic after he joined the Gopher team on the ice for the post-game
>celebration, and began gesturing and swearing at the officials. When a
>referee tried to move the Gopher players away from some taunting,
>non-Gopher fans in the stands, Doug Woog pushed the referee away. Bad move,
>Wooger.
>
>More details can be found at the Pioneer Press website (URL is
>http://www.pioneerplanet.com/sports/hockey/docs/020725.htm). Please note:
>to access articles on the website, you must now be a paying subscriber.

I'll quote Minn AD Mark Dienhart (from Wong's article):
``Doug took exception to the officials interfering with the celebration,''
Dienhart continued. ``Doug admitted he was wrong and has apologized. He
said he got caught up in the heat of the moment and that he just wanted his
kids to be allowed to celebrate. I don't expect this type of behavior from
Doug again.''

Reading the whole article, it sounds like Woog misunderstood the actions of
the ref.  Woog seemed to think he was trying to end the Gophers'
celebration, but really he was just trying to prevent a fan-player
incident.  Certainly that's  no excuse for Woog to overreact like this,
though.

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!
Ski-U-Mah!!!