Sender:
From:
Doug Garn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 20:05:59 -0500
Comments:
Quoting Kenneth Michael Baker.
                                      The main reason Michigan lost on
Friday must have been a combination of stupid penalties, bad special
teams, and Pi.  The officiating must have been as inconsistent as at the
Joe against State.

I thought (as others I talked to) that this was one of the best games
ever as far as officiating (Piotrowski) goes.  Actually, Michigan had
8 penalties, while LSSU had 9.  3 for each team were coincidentals.
Now, if you want to talk about Saturday night and Shegos...

Quoting Kenneth Michael Baker
                   Halko of all defenseman seemed to have a horrible game
taking 2-3 penalties resulting in 2-3 goals for Lake State.

Halko had 1 penalty (hooking at 15:14 of the 2nd period).  Then Turco
got a penalty for Tripping which led to a 5 on 3 on which LSSU scored.

Quoting Kenneth Michael Baker
Did Warren deserve a game DQ for his intentional back-check on Jason
Trzcinski?  I do not understand the kindness of Matt Shegos giving him a
five-minute major and no game misconduct or DQ.  Very unusual.

After reading Rule 6, Section 20 "Hitting From Behind" the call can go
either way.  I couldn't see as it was right in front of me, did Luhning
push/check him into the boards?  That seems to be the differentiating
part of the rule.  If he did check into the "boards" its considered a
"flagrant violation" and Shegos could assess the 5 min major or a
disqualification.