Sender:
From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 18:12:26 -0500
I haven't seen this posted yet, so...

> Maine suspends Walsh for a year
>
> University of Maine hockey coach Shawn Walsh has been suspended without pay
> for one year by the university, it was announced at a press conference
> Thursday in Orono, Me. The suspension, effective Sunday, precedes a report
> by the NCAA committee on infractions that is expected in 1996, according to
> Athletic Director Sue Tyler. The penalties result from a pattern of
> secondary NCAA rules violations. However, other violations were more serious
> and, in some instances, were knowingly committed. Serious infractions
> include:
>
>    * Walsh received supplemental income from program boosters during his
>      December 1993 suspension, which violated the terms of his suspension.
>    * Walsh, his attorney, and a member of Walsh's coaching staff contacted
>      individuals who were expected to be interviewed by investigators prior
>      to those interviews, in violation of oral and written directives not to
>      do so.
>    * Two boosters, who were married, gave an ice hockey player and his
>      girlfriend a discount on rent and provided them with other
>      impermissible benefits during the 1993-94 academic year, in violation
>      of NCAA rules. Furthermore, the boosters and the student-athlete
>      conspired to hide the arrangement from the university, the
>      investigators, and the NCAA.
>    * Members of the university's ice hockey team accepted promises of a
>      stipend for competing on the 1992 and 1994 U.S. Olympic hockey teams
>      after being led to believe by the Olympic teams' administrators that
>      the stipends were permissible under NCAA rules. They later proved not
>      to be.
>
> The 450-page report draws three primary conclusions:
>
>    * Until approximately the middle of 1994, Maine lacked appropriate
>      institutional control over its athletic programs.
>    * Until the same time, the university did not provide the resources to
>      adequately support the institution's athletics compliance
>      responsibilities.
>    * Until the middle of that year, the university and Walsh failed to
>      exercise appropriate control over the ice hockey program.
>
> "My goal throughout the entire investigation was to cooperate in every
> aspect," said Walsh. "My team, my staff and myself have done that well. It's
> not for me to judge what an appropriate penalty is, but I can accept the
> university's decision."
>
> "Some of the individual violations, by themselves, may seem insignificant to
> some readers (of the report)," University of Maine President Frederick E.
> Hutchinson said. "However, when you look at them as a whole, a different,
> more disturbing picture forms. It is a picture of failure, The failure,
> through 1994, of our compliance monitoring system The violations contained
> in the report occurred in the past. Our new system of checks and balances is
> much better able to prevent or catch any situations that might be
> violations.

> [...]

Andy

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
+                                                                     +
+  Andy Weise           Let's Go Tech!                                +
+  SUNY Potsdam '93                     [log in to unmask]       +
+  Union College '95    Let's Go U!                                   +
+  Performance Systems International, Inc. (PSI)                      +
+  "If you think nobody cares you're alive, try missing a couple of   +
+   car payments."                                                    +