Sender:
From:
"Lee P. Sveinson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 12:09:48 EST
Comments:
cc: Jeff Walden <[log in to unmask]>
I have a hard time with this logic.  I know that there is a lot of people
who say that there is too much violence in hockey.  But if you think
about it, these rules change the face of hockey.  By implementing these
rules, you tie the arms of teams that are big and physical.  UND is the
perfect example.  The last few years, UND basically recruited big
physical players.  With the crack down on physical play, UND seems to
have began recruiting smaller players.

I don't think that it cracks down on physical play. All it will do is stop the
fighting. A team can still have physical players. A team with physical players
that plays a team that is more finesse doesn't usually get into fights with
that team because that team won't fight back. I do think that the new rules
seem a bit harsh, and they should be altered a little bit, but it is probably a
 good idea to stress hockey, and not fighting. I go to games to see hockey, not
 to see a bunch of goons fight. Physical play is part of the game, but not
fighting. There is nothing they can do to prevent physical play, so teams can
still recruit physical players, they'll just have to control that urge to drop
the gloves.

                                            Chad Wertley
 GO MIAMI REDSKINS.  GO MIAMI REDSKINS. GO MIAMI REDSKINS. GO MIAMI REDSKINS.