Sender:
From:
gregory utley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 00:05:13 -0500
I have been reading everyone's response to Paul Thalacker's posting of
the infamous article, and it seems that everyone has good points.  But it
also seems that for every good point, there is a bad point to follow it
up.  In my opinion, the students at the U of M have every right to be
proud of the team that is put on the ice every year.  Being a die-hard
Wisconsin fan, I would love it if Sauer could put an "all-Wisconsin" team
on the ice.

I am still a little confused about the U of Mer's thinking
though.  Throughout the season, they ridicule other teams for having to
go north, or even overseas, to put a competitive team on the ice.
Usually UMD and St. Cloud State get the brunt of this.  Then the
post-season comes and the Gophers make it to the Final Four.  Then, as is
tradition, they lose in the semis.  Now all the U of M fans are making
excuses as to why the other team won.  The biggest one is the use of
Canadian players.  Now I know all the U of M fans are saying "I never
think that!", and, well, maybe you're not.  But contrary to what you
think, you are not in the majority.  I even remember after U of M's loss
to BU in '94, when the newspapers were trying to tell Woog to change his
recruiting practices.

I am not trying to anger any Gopher fans by saying any of this.  This is
just what the UMD fans see our southern cousins as every year.
Personally, I think it is great that a team can recruit in such a small
area and still be in the top ten percent of all Div. I teams each year.
When I say small area I mean in comparison to all the places that other
teams pick up players.  What I don't agree with though is the harrassing
that goes on every year that is directed at the foriegn players.
Granted, there is always a certain amount of harrassment, but it is
usually in the form of "hack", "thug", or "seive".  I am guilty of all
three.  In my mind, making fun of the Canadians for where they are from is
 almost like harassing two of the best players in college hockey for being
 black - Michael Grier and Anson Carter.  I can't imagine their fans liking to
 hear racial slurs being blurted out by opposing fans.

This is all I have for now.  I am sure this Reusse article will be a
hot topic for a while.

Greg Utley

Go Badgers!!!   Go Bulldogs!!!