Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 1995 03:14:39 -0500
Friday, March 17, 1995 at Boston Garden, Boston, MA
HOCKEY EAST SEMIFINAL
#6 Providence Friars (14-16-6)         0     5     2  -  7
#1 Maine Black Bears (29-5-6)          0     0     3  -  3
FIRST PERIOD                                                           PC-UM
No scoring.
   PEN: PC, Travis Dillabough (interference), 3:38.
SECOND PERIOD
   PEN: UM, Jacque Rodrigue (hooking), 2:03.
1. PC1, Stefan Brannare 18 (Chad Quenneville, Brady Kramer), 2:48. PPG  1-0
   PEN: PC, Erik Sundquist (cross-checking), 3:12.
   PEN: PC, Joe Hulbig (tripping), 4:00.
2. PC2, Kramer 20 (Quenneville, George Breen), 6:30.                    2-0
3. PC3, Dillabough 3 (Hulbig), 10:17.                                   3-0
4. PC4, Kramer 21 (Quenneville), 12:49.  GWG                            4-0
   PEN: UM, Reg Cardinal (tripping), 13:09.
5. PC5, Quenneville 24 (Kramer, Scott Balboni), 13:28.  PPG             5-0
   PEN: PC, Balboni (high-sticking), 15:02.
        UM, Dan Shermerhorn (charging), 15:02.
   PEN: PC, Balboni (interference), 19:12.
THIRD PERIOD
6. UM1, Shawn Wansborough 13 (Brad Purdie, Scott Parmentier), 1:47.     5-1
   PEN: UM, Dave MacIsaac (holding), 2:20.
7. PC6, Breen 17 (Hulbig, Jon LaVarre), 2:33.  PPG                      6-1
   PEN: PC, Balboni (interference), 5:37.
8. UM2, Jeff Tory 10 (Chris Imes, Tim Lovell), 6:01.  PPG               6-2
   PEN: PC, Hulbig (cross-checking), 8:03.
   PEN: UM, Rodrigue (tripping), 8:39.
9. UM3, Lovell 21 (MacIsaac, Imes), 9:51.  4x4                          6-3
   PEN: PC, Dennis Burke (interference), 16:22.
10. PC7, Kramer 22 (unassisted), 19:06.  ENG                            7-3
SHOTS ON GOAL: Providence   8-12--4 = 24
               Maine       17-16-17 = 50
SAVES: PC, Bob Bell (W, 7-5-3, 60:00, 50 sh-47 sv).
       UM, Blair Allison (L, 29-5-6, 59:35, 23 sh-17 sv).
POWER PLAYS: PC 3 for 4.  Maine 1 for 7.
PENALTIES: PC 8/16.  Maine 5/10.
REFEREES: Frank Cole, Scott Leavitt. LINESMAN: Bill Jones.
ATTENDANCE: 5,533 (capacity 14,448).
THREE STARS: 1. LW Brady Kramer, Providence (3-2--5).
             2. G Bob Bell, Providence (50 sh-47 sv).
             3. C Chad Quenneville, Providence (1-3--4).

#6 Providence scored 5 goals in just over ten minutes of the second
period to break a scoreless tie and build a 5-0 lead after two, going
on to win 7-3 against #1 Maine and earn a berth in the 1995 Hockey East
Championship Game Saturday night at Boston Garden.

The Friars were outshot 50-24 in the game, including 16-12 in the
second, but they rode amazing performances by Chad Quenneville, Bob
Bell, and Brady Kramer to the win.  Quenneville (24-29--53) had a goal
and three assists in the fateful second period, and Kramer's empty-netter
in the final minute capped a three-goal, two-assist night for him and
gives him 22-29--51 totals on the year.

Providence, still two games under .500 at 14-16-6, can gain an automatic
bid to the NCAA Division I Tournament with a win over BU Saturday.

All 5 PC goals in the second were scored from right in front of Maine
goalie Blair Allison, whose usually steady defense simply collapsed
under the pressure of the Friars.  The Friars also scored goals on
each of their first three power play chances and only failed to score
on a 36 second power play halfway through the third.  Maine was held
scoreless on a 1:12 5x3 early in the second with PC ahead 1-0 and
only went 1 for 7 on the night.

Quenneville was marvelous in the second, making three beautiful plays
to set up goals.  The prettiest may have been on PC's fourth goal when
he was facing away from the net and made a nearly blind backhand pass
to Kramer in front for a goal.

PC had several other chances to open the lead to 6 or 7-0 before
the period ended, perhaps Maine's worst period of the year.

Down 5-0 entering the third, Maine stormed the Friar net much of the
period in a comeback attempt.  But after Shawn Wansborough got Maine
on the board 1:47 in, the Friars regained the five goal cushion just
46 seconds later on the power play when George Breen took a feed from
Joe Hulbig and went in to beat Allison on a breakaway during a line
change.  That was a huge goal.

Maine fought back to within three halfway through the period at 6-3,
but despite outshooting PC 17-4 in the third, Maine was unable to get
any closer.

Maine will meet UMass-Lowell in the consolation game Saturday night
and await a seed in the NCAA Tournament.

GOAL DESCRIPTIONS provided by Hockey East and NU SID Bill Doherty
PC1: After Kramer won the faceoff, Quenneville galloped into the
offensive zone and backhanded a pass to Brannare, who one-timed a
shot through the five hole of Allison from 12 feet out.
PC2: Quenneville stole Black Bear pass behind the cage, pirouetted,
and slid a perfect cross ice pass to Kramer, who beat Allison stick
side, 10 feet out.
PC3: Dillabough collected a nomadic puck behind the Maine net, did
the wraparound thing to near post, stick side.
PC4: Quenneville stole the puck and made a blind, cross ice pass
through the slot to Kramer, who positioned a point blank shot past
Allison stick side.
PC5: Quenneville one-timed a rebound of a screened Balboni howitzer
from the right point, after receiving cross ice feed from Kramer,
who won a battle along the far wall.
UM1: Wansborough tallied on a backhander through the five hole of
Bell after a setup from Purdie, who muscled the puck out of the
corner to the crown of the goal crease.
PC6: Breen converted a power play opportunity when he cruised in
alone with a Joey Hulbig pass from just inside the blue line.  Breen
trick dribbled and sank a backhander.
UM2: Tory stopped a difficult Imes pass along the blue line, settled
the puck with his skate, and blasted a puck-on-edge through a
partially screened Bell, to goalie's mitt side.
UM3: Lovell scored while teams skated 4x4, when he collected sitting
duck rebound of a MacIsaac shot while parked in front.  Lovell beat
Bell from in tight.
PC7: Kramer sent a half-icer into the yawning Black Bear cage.

QUOTES
MAINE COACH SHAWN WALSH
"It was Murphy's Law on St Patrick's Day.  You have to feel pretty
good when you outshoot a team 49-23 [actually 50-24].  You have to give
Providence all the credit in the world, they are on a roll right now
and the better team won tonight.  They did a great job penalty killing
and their forwards did a great job down low.

"The first 10 minutes of the game, I thought, was crucial and we had our
chances but couldn't convert.  The play of Bell in goal tonight was
dynamite, he is on a roll.  Paul [Pooley, PC coach] used his personnel
very well tonight and I really respect the job Paul and his staff
have done.  Providence has talented seniors.

"We worked really hard tonight and I was pleased that we came out in the
third period and really showed heart and played hard.  Hopefully that
play in the third period will carry over to Saturday night."

PROVIDENCE COACH PAUL POOLEY
"We knew we were going to get outshot for the game.  When we had an
opportunity to transition, we had to capitalize.

"We executed well tonight, scored on the power play and killed penalties.

"We had confidence coming out of the first period tied at zero.  I felt
real confident - I just wanted to make sure we were fired up and focused
for the rest of the game.

"We played the top teams in our league tough this year.  Coming down the
stretch, I was very worried - the toughest part of our schedule was
still ahead.  I give our seniors - Kramer, Quenneville - a lot of
credit for stepping up."

PROVIDENCE LEFT WING BRADY KRAMER
"Our game is to play a close-checking game.  A freestyle game is not
our style.

"This is possibly the best win of my career - right now this is huge.
But we want one more, we just need to stay focused."

PROVIDENCE GOALIE BOB BELL
"A lot of Maine's shots were from the outside.  If I can see the puck
from that distance, I can stop it."

On the 5x3: "I think I only had to make one save during that - that
was huge."