Sender:
From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 1994 09:48:29 EST
I will make a quick comment on the '94 edition of the RPI Engineers, and then
bid a fond adieu.

I am not completely pessimistic about the Engineers' chances this year.  I
view Sunday's victory, warts and all, as a major stepping stone for the team.
I have felt there were two critical ingredients for the Engineers to enjoy any
success this season: defense and goaltending.   I think both did OK on Sunday
afternoon.

Watching Friday night's BU  domination, it became clear to me that Mike
Tamburro is probably not going to be the answer between the pipes for the
Engineers.  Granted there were very few offensive thrusts, and BU seemed
to play most of the game in the RPI end, but there were a couple of BU goals
which were as soft as they can get.  I worry that Tamburro's limited stature
will pose a problem when big forwards double down to screen, or, as was the
case with the Mike Grier goal, bull themselves to the front of the net to
unleash a shot.  Ultimately I think Massotta's the guy.  I'm very interested
to learn whether Massotta was that impressive, or whether Merrimack's offense
was that woeful.  Probably a combination of the two.

Secondly, the defense is going to have to play tough, and keep the forwards
out of the slot.  Friday night the defense didn't play that badly, with
only two of the goals resulting from defensive breakdowns.  The most obvious
was my nightmarish predication of Mike Grier swooping down to the right of
golatender Tamburro, with freshman D Brian Tapper struggling to push him aside
to no avail.  Grier not only disposed of Tapper, he managed to get off a shot
which, from my perspective, looked to go 5-hole against Tamburro.  A brutish
goal if there ever was one.

The freshman d's are goingto have to grow up real quick and contribute.
Friday captain Adam Bartel looked lost out there, but I think that was because
he had no confidence in his linemate Aldous.  Similarly, Pat Rochon looked less
than impressive, responsible for the soft initial BU goal.  But I'm not sure if
he's in synch yet with freshman Tapper.

The offense is not going to shine this year.  So far it's been basically Brian
Richarson and Wayne Clarke.  Jeff Brick, apparently injured at Merrimack, has
been non-existent.  Also Tim Regan, who has a lot of skill in the corners,
can't seem to get started, even against his former high school chums from BU.
I agree with Mike--Doug Battaglia better get involved into the offense real
fast.

Power play--it's not there.  I think the main problem is the guys playing the
point don't have enough vision to move the puck to the open man.  The other
problem seems to be a failure to pull the trigger, by the whole PP unit.
Repeatedly against BU there would seem be a lane open for a shot, but the RPI
players wouldn't see it, or shoot too late.  One other personal dislike: the
five forward PP unit.  I don't think the forwards on the point can hold the
puck in the zone successfully.  Too often the powerplay ends up a skating
exhibition for the RPI forwards at the other end.

Coaching--it's just getting started.  Dan Fridgen seemed to have a little
difficulty matching lines against the Joubert line on Friday night.  It also
seemed that Parker continually got his lines out after RPI had sent their unit
out.  But I don't think Fridge has made any noticeable blunders so far, and
certainly hasn't affected the outcome of either the McGill or BU game.

My goalie prediction: Massotta will go against Army, with Tamburro getting the
nod against Clarkson.  I think Tamburro needs to make a good account of himself
against the Golden Knights, or Massotta may begin to slip into the picture
against the tougher opponents.

OTHER NEWS
Regrettably, I am obliged to leave the list for a while, due to the management
perspective of my employer.  I will be back at another address probably in a
month.  I can still be reached privately at my current address, and welcome
any materials/comments that can be forwarded on.  For those journeying to
the Houston Fieldhouse, I'm still in Section 6, Row E, and like to meet new
faces.

See you later.
                     _
             "NYS   // Hockey"
         Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris
           Go RPI //      Albany, NY
          (______/

The above opinions are those of the poster alone, with no representation
that they have any value whatsoever, or that the content will prove
interesting to anyone currently living, or otherwise.