Sender:
From:
"Arthur C. Mintz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 1994 12:02:56 -0400
>6-35-c        Referee may stop play along boards to eliminate unnecessary
>              contact around the puck:  A minor penalty shall be imposed on any
>              player, including the goalkeeper, who holds, freezes or plays the
>              puck with the stick, skates or body along the boards in such a
>              manner as to cause a stoppage of play.  There will not be a
>              whistle for any reason for a stalled puck along the boards unless
>              a player unintentionally falls on the puck.  However, the referee
>              may stop play along the boards if allowing play to continue leads
>              to unnecessary contact surrounding the puck.

Does anybody besides me have a problem with a rule that starts out by
saying that there will not be a whistle "for any reason" in a certain
situation, and then immediately contradicts itself by describing two
reasons for blowing the whistle?

Also, since the rule refers to "unnecessary contact", just what, pray tell,
is "necessary contact"?

Arthur C. Mintz          [log in to unmask]          (607) 255-1487
Senior Project Leader
Cornell Information Technologies / Information Resources

"Never confuse motion with progress."