Sender:
From:
"Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 1994 09:06:36 -0400
Ralph Baer writes:

>What do people thing would happen to the 17 Div II/III schools
>currently playing hockey in Div I if there was a sudden large influx of
>major schools at Div I level?  Would they be able to stay competitive
>or would they eventually leave Div I?
>
>What I am thinking about is that before women's basketball became as
>large as it currently is, one heard of a number of smaller schools that
>were major forces (I remember Philadelphia Textile, for example), but
>now the schools that are at the top in women's basketball are by and
>large the same ones that are similarly placed in men's basketball.

Don't stay up late waiting for any influx of new schools to Div. I hockey,
at least for the next few years.  The issue of gender equity (i.e.,
compliance with Title IX of the Higher Education Act) is going to result in
most all "new" athletics money going to women's sports:  additional
scholarships, new teams, increased operating funds, added coaches, higher
salaries for existing coaches.  Hockey is an expensive sport:  the school
which decides to plug a few hundred thousand dollars into a new men's
hockey team (or an upgraded team for that matter) will surely see on-campus
protests and a legal challenge as well.

And, keep in mind that more than "new" money is at stake.  More than a few
schools are reviewing their men's athletic teams, trying to decide which
ones might have to be eliminated in order to re-allocate funds.  I can't
help but think that men's hockey could be vulnerable -- particularly on
campuses where it is not the premier sport.

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                        BITNET:            ROTH@CANISIUS
Dean of Student Services                 INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]
Canisius College                            PHONE:           (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14208                       FAX:           (716) 888-2525