Sender:
From:
Robert MAYVILLE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 1994 13:31:02 CST
Regarding the apparent difference between Wisconsin fans and Minnesota's (and
others?):

A factor that should not be overlooked is alcohol.  Badger fans (myself
included) are notorious for alcohol consumption.  The Minnesota fans' and press'
nickname for Wisconsin fans is 'beer-swilling cheeseheads'.  A Badger fan sees
games in other cities as a chance to check out new bars.  When I was in Albany
in '92, a bar next to the Knick was filled with Badgers.  The owner said she was
at first upset that the NC$$ tournament was taking the place of a Grateful Dead
concert.  But when she heard that Wisconsin made the tournament, she got over
it.  I met fans that flew in from Denver for the final game, had a few beers and
didn't remember much of the game.  In Minneapolis, Badger fans take over Stub
'N' Herbs and sometimes the Big Ten Pub.  The owners don't seem to mind due to
the amount of money being spent.  In St. Paul, it's McSomething's (near the Civi
c Center).

When the Badger basketball team made the NC$$ tournament, people were excited
and ready to go to the games.  When it was discovered that the games were in
Ogden, Utah and that the city is dry, many people decided to stay home.  When Un
iversity officials decided to crack down on the smuggling of alcohol into the
football stadium, attendance dropped greatly.   The happened to be very bad, but
this was nothing new.  Not until the team started winning did the fans return in
droves.

I remember meeting a SuperFan in an Albany bar.  The topic of how to become a
member came up.  He said you have to really like college hockey and be able to
drink.  I said we are from Wisconsin.  He said that qualifies.

I'm not boasting or condemning.  Wisconsin fans just have a reputation as people
willing to spend money on alcohol.

Give a Wisconsin fan a chance, and they'll spend their money on alcohol.  It's
part of the culture.  Lot's of Germans and Irish.

This is not a flame.

Bob Mayville
Madison, WI