Sender:
From:
"Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 1994 09:52:56 -0500
Mike wonders:

>I did not vote this week, but if I did, I would have put Maine in my top
>10, let alone top 15.  I could not believe that four other HE teams
>came in ahead of Maine and all four made the top 15.  Hmm...and they
>are also the #1-4 teams in the HE standings!  Are HOCKEY-L poll
>voters really any better than the media?

Aw C'mon, Mike:  you of all folks should remember about ceramic dalmations! :)
However, fearing that perhaps I'd really done the Black Bears an injustice, I
went back over my own poll submissions for the season.  Had I unfairly
condemned Maine to the nether regions??  Nope.  Actually, I started them at #7
(pre-season), and had them as high as #2 by the fifth week.  After that it was
downhill -- based only on their performance.  They slipped off my chart about
the twelfth week.  You're right in that they've been doing much better lately,
but for "poll purposes" they have a lot of scrambling to do to catch up to
higher-ranked teams, IMHO.

This could all be academic in any event.  I would not be surprised if Maine
ends up ineligible for post-season play ... and not just in hockey.

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                        BITNET:            ROTH@CANISIUS
Dean of Student Services                 INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]
Canisius College                            PHONE:           (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14208                       FAX:           (716) 888-2525