Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 1994 21:26:19 EST
Hi everyone!!! This is the Slu babe here, and since I'm attempting my
first article on the netline, please be patient. Thanks.  So far, I've
enjoyed the discussion panel.  As for my team, the Skating Saints, well,
I don't mean to be pessimistic.  The end of our dominating era is over,
and this year is one of transition and growth.  Which is too bad for
this senior who wanted to end her year at NCAA championship series.
Oh well.  At least our women's team is awesome. They have yet to let me
down.  I have two questions for ya'all!  The first is- how is hockey
perceived on your campuses?  Here, no one really cares about stats,
or records, or the teams win-lose ratio.  Unless of course you're
talking about the NHL.  At SLU, we love hockey, but for other reasons
suck as who Daniel Lappierre's ('92) father is, who Gerard Verbeek's
brother is (Pat Verbeek), that now Eric Lacroix and Shawn Rivers
(N'94 and N'92 respectively) are in NHL organizations, etc.  At Slu, we
are more interested in how a player looks and his personality, than
how well he skates.  We are more interested in his bedroom ability than
his hockey ability.  SLU hockey players are God-like on campus and in
town.  Is it like this on your campuses?  The second question is this:
do you keep tabs on college hockey and junior hockey in Canada?  One of
my best friends is Mike Gaul who played for Lac St. Louis and the
Laval Titans. He is a rookie with the L.A. Kings, but is sidelined with
a major injury.  He spent a year at St. Lawrence.  Anyway, just curious
on how you approach studying these hockey players!  Just for those of
you who keep tabs on these sort of things, the President of the
Florida Panthers-William A. Torrey, the coach of the Rangers-Mike Keenan
and practically half of the Ottawa Senators organization all graduated
from St. Lawrence!    Ciao, SLU Babe