From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1993 12:22:56 -0600
There is an outstanding feature article on Joe Juneau in today's
(12/22/93) Boston Globe sports section, and I just wanted to let
people know in case they wanted to seek it out.  The relation to
college hockey is that a large part of the article deals with Juneau's
experiences at RPI and includes quotes from Mike Addesa and Tony Hejna
among others.

It was perhaps most interesting to read that Juneau said he was so
miserable his first two years at RPI, he was thinking of transferring
or quitting.  Then Buddy Powers took over before Juneau's junior year
(89-90).  It seemed that Juneau did not fit in well under Addesa's
system, and Addesa is quoted as saying that he wanted to make Juneau a
more complete player and improve his work ethic (Addesa's teams being
known for their work ethic).  However, it is funny to read in the middle
of the article that Addesa says he wanted Juneau to shoot more (and
Buddy did have him work on this, too), while at the end, Bruins' GM Harry
Sinden says that he thinks Juneau has become more of a playmaker than
he was at RPI.  Did Harry even see Juneau at RPI? :-)

But the reason the article is so good is that it gives you an insight
on Juneau the person, which I suppose in turn gives you a good
perspective on Juneau the player.  I don't think it's anything many of
us don't already know, but it's just very well-written and does a great
job of explaining how Juneau is not your stereotypical partying hockey
player.  The quarter (or 50 cents) you spend on the paper will be well
worth it for this article alone.  Wish I could remember who wrote it
so I could give him/her a plug here.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<<< Color Voice of the (7-7-1) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>>