From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 91 17:03:22 -0500
Jeremy writes:

>HOLD IT A MOMENT!
>
>Now, I can see how playing weak teams might hurt Clarkson in TCHCR, but how,
>when we outscore our opponents 18-2 over the past weekend, could we FALL one
>position?  Were there any major upsets that I was unaware of?  I'm sure
>Clarkson's not the only school that gets shoved around like this.  Who
>decides how the teams are ranked in the NCAA poll, anyway?

Clarkson was overtaken by Boston U, who also won twice last week. They beat
Boston College and Providence, moving the Terriers from 9th to 6th. CU fell
from 7th to 8th. BC and Providence are significantly better than
Army/Princeton, IMHO.

Yes, TCHCR considers strength of schedule. Who ever said the NCAA doesn't
also consider the quality of your opponents? I bet you $100 that they
do in fact consider it.

Plus, the NCAA *does not* consider margin of victory. They don't want you
running up the score on those cupcakes just to improve your ranking.

The NCAA poll represents the views of only four people: Jack Gregory (AD,
BGSU); Rick Comley (AD/Coach, NMU); Laing Kennedy (AD, Cornell) and Jack
Parker (Coach, BU). So who cares what they think? A few of us, because these
are the same four who will be selecting and seeding the 12 teams for the
NCAA tourney. The poll itself does not mean anything come selection time, but
it does give you an indication of what these 4 guys are thinking about.

Keith [log in to unmask]